Card Making

Resisting Watercolour with Masking Fluid

Hello,

I was looking through my card stash recently and found there was a serious lack in ‘male-ish’ cards. So, after getting a couple of new products last week along with the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge with the theme of ‘Resist’; this card was created.

Tim Holtz Alterations Celebrate + Watercolour Resist Background

I took a piece of Daler and Rowney Extra Smooth Hot Pressed Paper and trimmed it down to 6″x6″ then in, approximately, the middle I die cut the party hat. On the die cut piece, I stamped the coordinating image and coloured it in using my watercolour pencils. Putting down all the colour in one go then adding water, gave the hat a more “distressed” and imperfect look (which was intentional – trust me, I’m a perfectionist!). For the background, I taped the watercolour paper down to my table with masking tape and, using two plastic brushes, started flicking Daler and Rowney masking fluid onto the page. The easiest way, for me, was to hold the brush with the fluid above the clean brush, which I held horizontal. I then hit the top brush off the bottom brush causing all the spots and splatters – very fun 🙂

Tim Holtz Alterations Celebrate + Watercolour Resist Background (2)

After waiting about half an hour, when the masking fluid had turned slightly yellow-ish, I wet the paper before dropping colour in [Indanthrene Blue, Turquoise Blue, Emerald Green, Yellowish Green and a little bit of Hanza Yellow from the St Petersburg White Nights]. The background for the sentiment was created the same way [Cadmium Red Light and Ruby] – the happy birthday stamp and banner die were both in the set with the hat.

Tim Holtz Alterations Celebrate + Watercolour Resist Background (3)

When the paint had dried, I removed the masking tape and I was able to just peel away the masking fluid with my finger. My original idea had been to cut down the watercolour piece to 5″x5″, however, I thought where the paint had escaped along with the texture of the masking tape, it added to the grungy-distressed look. I trimmed 2mm off each side and used double sided sellotape to adhere it to a 6″x6″ kraft card base. I added foam pads to the back of the hat and ‘PARTY!’ flag and glue dots were added to the sentiment banner.

Colour Wheel.jpg

I’ve been trying to create with more funky colours but you’ve got the beware of complimentary colours [purple and yellow; blue and orange; green and red] – they’re not complimentary when mixed! They all make brown… just a bit ‘o colour theory for you 😉 However, beautiful backgrounds can be achieved… be prepared to see more of this sort of background in the future because I love how it looks!

Hope to see you soon,

Emma x

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Resisting Watercolour with Masking Fluid

    1. Thank you Lols for the lovely comment 😀 I saw a recent post of yours on Instagram and it inspired the creation of my next card – I hope you’ll come back and take a look when its up (hopefully in the next couple of days… fingers crossed!)

      Thanks again,
      Emma x

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s